Blue Jeans is a cloud-based videoconferencing service that supports high-resolution videoconferencing and content sharing on any device.
- To get an account and begin using it immediately, visit the Blue Jeans login page (northwestern.bluejeans.com) and enter your NetID and NetID password via the Login button on the left-hand side of the page. An account is automatically created for you upon first login.
- Blue Jeans is automatically included in all Northwestern Canvas courses on the left-hand navigation bar of the individual course. If you do not see the Blue Jeans tab on the left-hand course navigation bar, please go to Settings > Navigation, and then drag and drop Blue Jeans into the top menu (it’s color will change from grey to black and it will appear in the left-hand navigation bar when you Save and refresh the page).
- Need help? Check out our help guides (basic and Canvas-specific) and YouTube demo videos.
Here is an example of Blue Jeans being used for a large online session with many Northwestern and non-Northwestern guests connecting from a variety of devices from across the globe.
Key Features and Benefits
Blue Jeans gives the Northwestern community the power to communicate face-to-face over video.
- It’s easy to use.
- Supports high-resolution videoconferencing (720p), high-resolution content sharing, and real-time video sharing.
- Allows up to 100 connections for any single meeting.
- Meetings can be recorded with unlimited storage in the cloud.
- Available end-to-end encryption for sharing of privileged or private data (not HIPPA compliant).
Blue Jeans integrates with Canvas allowing instructors to conduct audio, video, and content sharing conferencing right within their Canvas courses. This provides greater opportunities for classroom collaboration:
- Guest lecturers can now be brought in, by telephone or video, right from within the Canvas course site.
- Student study groups can meet over Blue Jeans, allowing added flexibility when trying to coordinate schedules.
- Instructors can offer virtual office hours to students when both parties may not be on campus.
I successfully use Blue Jeans for meetings with my EMBA student groups which include students in Colombia, Peru, Mexico, and the U.S. simultaneously. The technology works very well, and while having video work across countries with minimal bandwidth is not straightforward, Blue Jeans’ platform does it better than competing products.