Box provides individual, flexible online space for unlimited file storing or sharing at no cost. All Box content can be accessed online from computers or mobile devices.
- Current faculty, staff, and students with an active NetID are eligible to register for a free Box account. Just log in with your NetID and Net ID password and agree to the terms of service. Then you can get started using Box right away.
- Organizational accounts may be created as necessary by submitting a Northwestern Box Organizational Request. Departmental NetIDs may not be used to create a Northwestern Box account. Instead, individuals should request to create an organizational account.
- Other members of the University community, such as affiliates or alumni, may sign up for a free Box account using a personal email address.
Here's what Box looks like from the folder layout in a browser. To share a file or folder, choose an option from the Share menu on the right-hand side of the page on the same row as the folder. Futher options are avaiable via the three-dot icon immediately to the right of the Share button [...].
Key Features and Benefits
Box is an easy-to-use file sharing software that can help you easily store, share, and access files from almost any device in a safe manner. Instructors and students can instantly access files for collaboration inside and outside the classroom.
- Invite colleagues to share and edit: Turn folders into shared online workspaces, invite people to view, edit and upload files, and more.
- Post comments and assign tasks: Keeps everyone updated by exchanging feedback in one place. Instead of going back and forth in a long email chain, comments maintain conversation history in a single place.
- Create and share a unique link to any file or folder: Send links to anyone with or without a Box account for view and/or download access.
- Shared links always point to the most current version: Links do not need to be re-sent after changes are made to files.
Please note: Northwestern Box should not be used for legally or contractually restricted information.
The Box-Canvas integration provides greater opportunities for classroom sharing and collaboration. It can help you easily store large files and share them with the entire class, small groups, or even individual students. Students will also be able to access these files from almost any device. You are no longer limited by Canvas' files storage limits! The Box-Canvas integration also allows you to post links directly into areas such as Modules, Pages, Assignments, and Quizzes. This makes your life easier and reduces ambiguity for students. The Box-Canvas integration also opens up a whole new set of teaching possibilities, especially if you integrate it with the other tools offered by Faculty Support Services.
To learn more about integrating Box into your Canvas course and see some sample scenarios, please visit the Canvas Learning Center.