Box provides individual, flexible online space for unlimited file storing or sharing at no cost. All Box content can be accessed online from computers or mobile devices.
- Current faculty, staff, and students with an active NetID are eligible to register for a free Box account. Just log in with your NetID and Net ID password and agree to the terms of service. Then you can get started using Box right away.
- Organizational accounts may be created as necessary by submitting a Northwestern Box Organizational Request. Departmental NetIDs may not be used to create a Northwestern Box account. Instead, individuals should request to create an organizational account.
- Other members of the University community, such as affiliates or alumni, may sign up for a free Box account using a personal email address.
Here's what Box looks like from the folder layout in a browser. To share a file or folder, choose an option from the Share menu on the right-hand side of the page on the same row as the folder. Futher options are avaiable via the three-dot icon immediately to the right of the Share button [...].
Key Features and Benefits
Box is an easy-to-use file sharing software that can help you easily store, share, and access files from almost any device in a safe manner. Instructors and students can instantly access files for collaboration inside and outside the classroom.
- Invite colleagues to share and edit: Turn folders into shared online workspaces, invite people to view, edit and upload files, and more.
- Post comments and assign tasks: Keeps everyone updated by exchanging feedback in one place. Instead of going back and forth in a long email chain, comments maintain conversation history in a single place.
- Create and share a unique link to any file or folder: Send links to anyone with or without a Box account for view and/or download access.
- Shared links always point to the most current version: Links do not need to be re-sent after changes are made to files.
Please note: Northwestern Box should not be used for legally or contractually restricted information.