Panopto is a video capture and management tool for training, teaching, and presenting. Record, webcast, manage, and search all of your video content.
- Go to https://northwestern.hosted.panopto.com.
- Click on the purple “Sign In” button in the top right corner, change the dropdown option next to “Sign in using” to NU ADFS, and then login with your NetID and password when redirected to the Northwestern Online Passport page.
- To begin recording or upload content, download and install the Panopto Desktop App from the top right-hand corner of the page under your name.
- Mobile apps for phones and tables are available through Google Play or the App Store.
- For instructors & TAs: Panopto is integrated into every Canvas course but hidden by default. To enable it, you’ll need to go to the "Settings" tab on the left-hand nav of our individual Canvas courses, select the "Navigation" tab, and drag the Panopto item from the hidden bottom section to the visible top section. Once you save the page, Panopto will be enabled in your course.
Here is an example of a FAQ video created with Panopto to be easily updated each time a course is offered.
Key Features and Benefits
Panopto provides the ability to transmit live and on-demand video streams over the Internet, or record and store them for on-demand viewing by students from a web browser. It’s also great for creating and sharing pre-class lectures or creating an easily updatable FAQ video with time-coded notes so it’s easy to quickly get the information you need.
The Panopto capture software for Windows and Mac is easy to install and easy to use. It supports multi-camera video capture to easily record the instructor, the content of their screen, a document camera, a digital whiteboard, and more. It also includes a cloud-based video content management system for uploading, managing and sharing all of your video files. It comes with built-in video analytics, a web-based video editor, automatic encoding to ensure your videos play efficiently on any device, and a unique search engine that helps your students review material mentioned or shown in their course videos.
Panopto can also be integrated into any Canvas course. The integration allows videos to be uploaded directly to the course site.
Integration with BlueJeans
Northwestern's videoconferencing system BlueJeans has developed an exciting integration with Panopto. The BlueJeans integration with Panopto allows meetings that have been recorded in BlueJeans to be automatically uploaded into Panopto's platform. This not only provides a single location for all of your video content, but also allows for the meetings to be transcribed, highlighted and categorized for better search results.
To access BlueJeans recordings in Panopto, login to Panopto using your Net ID and password using the NU ADFS option from the Sign In dropdown menu and navigate to the BLUEJEANS_MEETINGS subfolder in your My Folder. Screenshot below.
Portable Panopto kits are now available to check out from the main circulation desk at the University Library (Evanston campus). Each kit includes everything you'll need to produce a Panopto recording for either PC or Mac, as well as a helpful guide to get you started. All you need to make them work is a single available USB port on your machine and a valid Wildcard for the 3-day loan.
Each kit includes:
- USB Web Camera
- Mini Tripod
- USB Lapel Mic
- USB Headsets
- USB 3.0 4-port Hub with power supply
- USB-C USB 3.0 4-port Hub with USB-C power supply
- USB Presenter’s slide advancer